|Homemade Almond Milk|
1. I personally am not a big fan of the taste of cow milk
2. It is low in calories and hence perfect for weight control because one cup of it contains only 60 calories, as opposed to 146 calories in Whole Cow Milk (even Skim Cow Milk contains 86 calories)
3. It is good for your heart because it contains no cholesterol or saturated fat at all. It is low in sodium and high in healthy fats (such as omega fatty acids, typically found in fish), which helps to prevent high blood pressure and heart disease
4. It keeps your skin glowing because it contains 50 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E, which contains antioxidant properties essential to your skin’s health, such as protecting it against sun damage.
5. It barely impacts your blood sugar because it is low in carbs (with no additives), meaning it won’t significantly increase your blood sugar levels, reducing your risk for diabetes. Because of its low glycemic index, your body will use the carbs as energy so the sugars aren’t stored as fat (score!).
6. It contributes to muscle strength and healing because of the plenty of B vitamins such as iron and riboflavin that it contains, both important for muscle growth and healing.
7. It helps with digestion because it contains almost one gram of fiber per serving, which is important for healthy digestion.
8. It doesn’t contain lactose, making it a perfect lactose- free substitute for whose who are lactose intolerant.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST, it is very easy to make! I make my own Almond Milk on a weekly basis because I love to incorporate it into a wide variety of recipes including but not limiting to - Milkshakes, Smoothies, Cookies, Chia puddings, Oatmeals, Pancakes and etc. Below are some of my recipes using my own Homemade Almond Milk:
|Homemade Recipes using Homemade Almond Milk|
And of course, I also love just drinking Homemade Almond Milk alone- it tastes so good its mind-blowing. The taste and smell are so rich and I love that it does not have all the preservatives and artificial flavors that store-bought Almond Milk has. Plus homemade one actually tastes so much better!
Raw Almonds (*Not Roasted*) x 1.5 cups
Water x 3.5-4 cups (depends on how watery you want your almond milk to be - I personally like it richer so I use only 1.5 cups of water)
Pure Honey x 2 tsp
Soak Raw Almonds overnight in water to make them soft, then drain the water and pour the almonds together with water into the blender and blend it for 1-2 minutes. Pause the blender, add 1-2 tspn of Pure Honey, and start the blender again for 2-3 minutes. After that, strain the mix with a metal strainer/ cheese cloth.
Servings: 5 cups of Almond Milk
|Homemade Almond Milk|
For the remaining almond meal left on the metal strainer/ cheese cloth - you can either discard it OR it is actually a very healthy substitute for flour! you can use it to make cookies, cakes and etc.
AND TA-DAH it is done!!Perfect choice of Milk for those who are vegan or lactose- intolerant, or do not like the taste of Cow Milk - just like me!
Hope you enjoyed my Homemade Almond Milk recipe - stay tuned for more yummy and delicious recipes (i.e. those that use Homemade Almond Milk) by subscribing to my blog! <3