I am sorry that many of you who do not reside in Hong Kong might not find this post relevant to you..but hey you never know!;p One day you might drop by Hong Kong or even live here for sometime - you never know where life is going to take you (:
One of the many reasons that my fellow Hong Kong-ers want to know so much where I get my groceries is that it is not easy or cheap at all to find healthy food in Hong Kong. The more Western-style of Healthy/ Clean-eating is not a popular concept in Hong Kong yet and many of the healthy ingredients that I use daily in my cooking i.e. Buckwheat Flour, Chia Seeds, Greek Yogurt Raw Cacao powder and etc are not available at most local supermarkets. Even Avocados are hard to find, especially if you want to get them at a reasonable price.
So here is a list of the top 8 places where I get all of my groceries for my clean-eating diet in Hong Kong (at a "not-too-bad" price)!
1. Just GreenThis is definitely my favorite place to get all of my baking ingredients. They have almost everything a clean-foodie wants! And the price is actually not too bad either.
What I normally buy from here:
- Organic Spelt/ Buckwheat/ Coconut/ Almond/ All-purpose/ Whole Wheat Flour
- Ezekiel Bread
- Organic Raw Cacao Nibs and Raw Cacao Powder
- Organic Fresh Kale
- Organic Raw Coconut Flakes
- Organic Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Sunflower Seeds and etc
- Organic Gluten-free Corn Crispibread
- Rolled Oats
- Rye Flakes
- Quinoa Milk and Flaxseed Milk
- PB2 (Organic Raw Chocolate Peanut Butter Powder)
- Low-calories Gluten-free Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
- Organic Brown Rice Tortilla
- Organic Whole Wheat Pizza Base
- Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Penne
Address: 52 Graham Street, Soho, Hong Kong (also in Wan Chai, Lamma Island and Discovery Bay)
Tel: 852 2801 5611
2. Reclamation StreetBest best place in Hong Kong to get your fresh fruits, veggies and tofu at a great price! It has many local Chinese fruits and veggies stalls that have been there for years already. For my daily and weekly and grocery list, you can find them at my earlier blogpost: http://stayfitandtravel.blogspot.hk/2014/11/healthy-grocery-shopping-list.html) It is also a great local street market to visit if you are travelling to Hong Kong on Holiday to get a taste of the local Hong Kong Chinese's livelihood and the culture.
Address: Reclamation Street, Jordan to Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
3. Taste at Festival WalkOne of my favorite supermarkets to get my groceries because it is huge (considering how limited space Hong Kong has and how small most supermarkets are), the prices are not too bad and they often have discount on Cottage Cheese! Plus it offers free parking if your spending exceeds a certain amount. What I normally buy here are:
- Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
- Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- Low Fat Feta Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Dark Rye Bread
The only bad thing is they do not have Low Fat Greek Yogurt Unsweetened available so you need to go somewhere else to get it if you are like me and need to have a jar of Greek Yogurt in your fridge 24/7.
Address: Shop 05, MTR Level, Festival Walk, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong (Also available in many locations around Hong Kong)
Tel: 852 2265 8698
4. Marks & Spencer FoodI love Marks & Spencer Food! In Hong Kong, the M&S food stores cannot compare to the ones in UK of course, but I am just glad that they exist. This is the only place where I get my Low Fat Greek Yogurt Unsweetened - at a really good price! They also have some whole wheat and low fat spaghetti and penne that I sometimes get. My favorite, however, would be their freshly baked German Rye Bread, Sourdough Bread and also Muesli Bread! Most of the time they are still hot from the oven when I pay for them at the counter. YUM!
Address: 1/F Kinwick Centre. 32 Hollywood Road, Central, Hong Kong (Also available at multiple locations around Hong Kong)
Tel: 852 2921 8552
5. BC ShopThis is where I can my Protein Powder Tub (one of the cheapest place in Hong Kong to get it - and if you join their membership, you also get to enjoy a lot of discounts and etc!). For the details of my protein supplement, you can find them at my earlier post: http://stayfitandtravel.blogspot.hk/2014/11/my-workout-gear-protein-supplement-and.html). Here you can also find the cheapest Quest Bars in Hong Kong (only HKD22 for one - Normally it's HKD28-32 at most other places in Hong Kong) and you also get additional discount if you buy more than 12!
Address: Mongkok Omega Plaza (Flagship Store), Shop 2A-2B, Omega Plaza, 32-34A Dundas Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
6. Market PlaceMarket Place, I would say, might not be my favorite but it is not bad in terms of the food choices available. You can find most healthy food ingredients on my grocery list here - although I would say the prices are better at Taste!The only thing that might make it a better place to go to sometimes is that it has Low Fat Greek Yogurt Unsweetened available.
Address: B111-121, Basement 1, K11, 18 Hanoi Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong (available at many locations around Hong Kong)
Tel: 852 3122 4066
7. AeonThis is another awesome supermarket with a lot of healthy food ingredients available at a very reasonable price! I would say they are cheaper here than Market Place, Taste and also Citysuper. This is where I get my hands onto these cute little sweet bell peppers. So yum! Definitely should pay a visit here and give it a try!
Address: 1/F - 2/F, MegaBox, 28 Wang Chiu Road (Available at various locations around Hong Kong)
Tel: 852 2339 3388
8. CitysuperCitysiper is famous for having overpriced products so I do not buy that much here - except for their Japanese Cold Tofu which I love and they are rather cheap too! It is yummy and very filling, and as there's a Citysuper right downstairs of my office, I go get the tofu for my mid-afternoon snack whenever I do not bring any snacks for that day. My favorite would be the Black Sesame Cold Tofu. NOM!
Address: Harbour City Level 3, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
9. Grade A Deli PlaceThis used to be our weekend's must-go-to place as we were all meat lovers! We have been coming to this place a lot less often now because we are trying to do at least 5 days a week of vegetarian-only meals now. However, if you are craving for some meaty proteins at an excellent quality and price - this is the place to be! From Organic Turkey Breast, Chicken Breast, Pork Chops, Beef Rips to seafood such as Oysters, Shrimps, Fish and etc they have everything you want!
Address: Shop 14B, G/F, 32-34, Hong Keung Street, San Po Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2322 9228
10. Football ClubI am putting this as last because as much as I love it, it is members-only and it actually only has a very small section selling groceries. But this is where I get my Organic Quinoa and Organic Quinoa Soffiette, and also sometimes fresh strawberries and cheese! The restaurants and cafes here also have awesome sandwiches and salads. Personally, I just love football club - it is one of my favorite places to be in Hong Kong! We have been going there since we were little kids and it just feels like home<3
Website: https://www.hkfc.com.hk/Address: 3 Sports Road, Happy Valley, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2830 9500
Hope you find this post useful! Subscribe to my blog and stay tuned for my health and fitness tips!